February 14, 1998

339. Past Reflections #39 - Marie MacDougall (1998)

Marie MacDougall
     changed my life.
You, my dear, may find
     such a thing absurd,
But before you make comment,
     listen again to these words.
In days gone by,
     when our troubled love
     smiled on seas so rough,
I tried time and again
     to rescue our doomed vessel
     and bring your heart safely to mine,
Yet you were under such a spell
     that when I reached out to save you,
     you chose to slip beneath the water and drown.
The idea that I was wrong for you,
     and that our love was doomed to fail,
     was placed upon you by Marie MacDougall.
That is why today,
     when our hearts have grown apart,
     I cannot help but think how
          Marie MacDougall changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment