March 18, 1992

181. Together As One, I Will Never Let You Go

I remember gazing up at the stars
Night after endless night,
Wishing, hoping, that such dreams,
Dreams of love and happiness,
Would someday make reality
Such a place I would want to see.
The world was such a shallow place,
No one cared to hear my thoughts,
To understand why I am this way,
To understand the quiet words I write,
And why I act the way I do.
Such great love was bottled up inside of me.
How I wanted to share it with someone;
Share with someone the words I penned from my heart,
The sunsets I always watched alone;
Share the tender, caring emotions I’ve known so long,
But never could I find someone to take such treasures.
Then, silently, like the sun that breaks the storm,
The smile to make you forget a depressing sing,
The sunrise that brightens a frightful night,
The soft hand reaching out that saved my morbid life,
You pushed your way into my heart,
And showed a dying romantic poet
That the beauty he sought out in the world
Was more than s shadowy dream,
But a joyous life that was no longer
Just a little bit out of reach.
Swimming with my memories,
Memories that now hold a joyful tear,
Swelling deep in my loving heart,
In the memory I will never forget:
The night we were first together.
The way the evening lights
And the silent moonlight,
Along with the glimmering stars,
Shone so softly off a countenance so gorgeous
And sparkled in those wonderful eyes.
Your touch felt so comforting,
As if I’d known you some million-odd years,
And you had always known how I felt inside.
Looking tenderly into such beautiful eyes,
I heard the angels in the sky,
Circling above the two of us.
They said to me, “Kiss her you tainted fool,
So that someday you will give each other
The happiness and love that makes this world
Spin 'round and ‘round, day after day.
Kiss her and make her yours.”
I bent down slightly as you reached up to me
And our lips met in such a twofold bliss.
To think such a beautiful love we share,
Started all that night with one little kiss.
With your mind running so quickly,
And your heart in such a fray,
I could do nothing but understand
During those gray, shady days
When you were not quite sure
Just what I meant to you.
I wanted nothing more than for you to see
The happiness and beauty love had put inside of me
So that I could share it all with you.
I will always remember the day,
The day I asked if you would be mine.
Not once before in all my life
Did a smile mean so much
As when you looked up, deep into my eyes,
Let that joyous smile emblazon your face,
And opened up your heart to me
So I could make you the happiest girl in all the world,
And begin to share all my love with you.
Slowly, the days fell into weeks,
The weeks crept into months,
And now, it seems as if
You’ve always been here, by my side.
I wouldn’t have it any other way.
All the times we shared,
The memories that will live with us,
Even far past our mortal life,
Will always live on in these words,
And reappear with each days’ new dawn.
I think back to all that we’ve done--
The days laughing and cherishing,
The nights comforting and caring--
And all I can do is sit and smile
Because of all the love we have shared
And all that is yet to come.
For whether it be walking along the beach,
Laughing and teasing each other,
Sitting in the dark, holding hands,
Cherishing the beauty of a rose,
Dancing closely to a quiet melody,
Or even just watching the clouds roll by,
What makes such things so important,
What makes them so beautiful, so special,
Is that they are the things you and I share.
What makes life so grand,
And makes the sky forever blue,
Is that we are together as one
You and me, me and you --  us.
Simple words could never tell you
Just how much you mean to me,
But I’ll always be trying to show you
That of all the wonders the world holds,
Nothing will be so dear to me
As you and the love you’ve given to me.
And now that I have you,
It has made me realize that when I hold you,
All I have ever wanted--
The love, the happiness, the beauty, the dreams--
Are all right here in my arms.
That is why I tell you,
I’ll never let you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment