January 17, 1994

270. See Not My Tears

Mine eyes broke into tears.
Uncontrollable, painful sorrow
Overcame my silent frame
As I gazed upon you sleeping,
Your dreams calling to me
Through your distant sighs.
So long had it been
Since my longing eyes
Had looked upon you...
So long that I’d forgotten
How beautiful you are
When you sleep.
Just one look at your visage
And my valiant heart fell
As into a distant world,
I flew at the mercy of love.
My hands shook so frantically,
And no longer could I breathe.
God, how I had missed you
In the long months
That my heart had been away,
Chasing needless, selfish dreams
And leading you astray.
Before I could stop to think,
Or even hide form you my tears,
The pillow upon which you slept
Was damp with my crying
And slowly, you began to wake.
Quickly, I stopped my shaky hands
And dried all traces of the tears
From my lost eyes and shallow face.
I darted across the room
And sat so far away,
Pretending I was occupied
As slowly, you opened your eyes.
I appeared not to notice
As you came to realize
The pillow was soaked in tears,
And our love throughout these years.
You asked me if in your sleep
You had begun to cry.
I said that I did not know,
That I wasn’t paying attention.
I still do not know
If you realize those were my tears
That woke you from your distant sleep,
Trying to make you finally see
That apart, our lives equal none
And only together will you and I
Conquer this world to find our destiny....

No comments:

Post a Comment