February 1, 1992

168. “That Thereby Beauty’s Rose Might Never Die”

People often ask me
       Why I write;
       Why I bother to mold such words
       Into beauty and song
       When all the world can be so rank.
I searched for the answer
       In the skies and the ocean blue...
I found it not there, but in being with you.
Years after I have gone from the world,
       Visions in my sleep tell me
       My friends will say,
       “He was so inspiring in a world so dim.”
       Those who read my words will say,
       “His poetry brought tears to my eyes,
       But what I’ll remember most is how
       He wrote of Tiffany as if
       She were the most beautiful presence in all the world.”
If only I could come back for just a moment
       To tell them all,
You really are the most beautiful thing in all this world.......

No comments:

Post a Comment