January 13, 1992

161. When First I Saw You Cry, I Realized How Much I Love You

“I cannot look on so fair a face
while it is disturbed with agony,
or on those loving eyes
when they are drowned in tears.”

                              -Sir Walter Scott
 
 
I’ve cried such painful tears
Through the course of these verses,
The lines hard to write,
The words ripped out of reality’s frame.
Never will I forget the teardrops
That made the ink run and fade;
The sorrowful, raging cries
That were always so close to me;
The cries that were all I had in life.
Yet through all of those hollow tears,
That have fallen from my eyes
Never did a single tear cut into
My shaking frame, dig deep into the
Hidden part of my heart
As the way the tears you shed did
When first I saw you cry.
My hands trembled, cold sweat in my palms,
My heart sunk, and my stomach turned
As those tears fell from
Your beautiful eyes.
“I love you,” I thought to myself,
Trying to make you know that I did,
Trying to send the pain away.
And through all that happened
As I held you so close,
I was so stunned to find
That deep in my heart,
I cared and felt so much more deeply
For your tears
Than I ever felt sorry for mine.......

No comments:

Post a Comment