March 15, 1994

281. Thoughts At The Pub...Innocence Lost III: This Time, It Was Me

What is absent here?
What is gone from these words
       That I once knew so well?
Each day, I pen a new line,
       Yet, how long it has been
              Since my heart touched the page.
I've walked to the sea,
       Drawn to the waves my question,
              And received no answer...
I've turned to the sky,
       Shouted to the clouds above,
              And received no answer...
I've asked time and time again--
       "What is gone from the words?"
              And then, I realized what it was.
Somewhere along the way,
       At some point on this journey,
              Love left my side,
              Tears showed my pain,
              And somewhere in between,
                     I lost my innocence;
                     And now, I want it back.
Too late, I suppose,
       But as a candle dying in the wind,
              I'll close my eyes and remember
                     A time way back when
                     My words were my love,
                     And my love was you...

No comments:

Post a Comment