March 15, 1994

285. Thoughts At The Pub...Will My Princess Ever Live?

I pictured her eyes--
     The way they glimmer
     In the dancing candle-light,
     Their bright luster,
     Their wondrous mystery,
     Their quiet beauty--
Before I ever took the time
To actually gaze upon them.
I didn’t need to see her eyes--
     I already knew just who she was;
     She was the princess from my dreams...



Virtually every night,
     As I lay asleep,
     Gazing with my eyes closed
     Into the distant world
     Where hopes run free,
     And dreams are reality,
I dream the same dream
     Over and over again...


I stand quietly by the sea,
     Bare-foot in the sand
     Feeling the cold breeze
          As it pushes up the shore.
My eyes glimmer in the twilight,
     Watching the sun set on the blue water,
     Listening to the surf crash;
     Watching dolphins swim the waves...

When softly, on my shoulder,
     I feel a hand rest so warm.
Startled, I turn my head,
     My grip already on my sword.
As I turn over my shoulder,
     I meet a pair of brilliant eyes,
     Long, wondrous strands
          Oscillating in the wind,
     And the warmth of a beautiful smile...

She stands so close;
     I can feel her warmth.
Her long, flowing gown,
     A wave of thick magenta
     Lined in jewels and gold
     Shudders and flaps in the wind.
The frail, diamond-covered crown
     Sits so frail upon her head.
Her words are soft--
     So soft, I can barely make them out.
She asks only this question--
Will she forever be my princess,
     And I, forever her prince...

I stab my sword into the sand,
     And turn to hold her
                       in my embrace,
     And with gleaming, brilliant eyes,
          To her, I say this...

For this lifetime,
     And any other that we may live,
Not even the waves of time
     Will pull me from your arms;
And should one day,
     I awake without you by my side,
I will search through all the world,
     Until once more,
          You, my princess, I find...


No comments:

Post a Comment