March 15, 1994

288. Thoughts At The Pub...Last Call

It's the last call--
          Last chance to escape
          Far away into a better world.
What ale shall I choose
          Just minutes before
          I stumble out the door?
What poison will I drink
          To chase these dreams away
          Until another gloomy day?
I look across the table
          At that woman's
          Quiet blue eyes,
Thinking what does it matter
          When you won't remember
          Any of this in the morning.
"Bring me reality in a shot glass,
          And I'll chase it with my dreams,
          That way, when it hits me--
          I'll have a dream-filled reality,
          And realistic dreams!"
The bartender laughs
          And hands me moonshine and a gun
          With this playful line:
"This is much safer for you
          Than falling in love again."

No comments:

Post a Comment