August 2, 1992

209. While You Were Away: Waking In Your Arms

I can always recall the nightmares,
The horrid, treacherous, painful visions,
Even though I usually forget
The warm, uplifting pictures of dreams.
I’ve seen such horrid things in sleep
That would make mighty empires fall
And the mightiest of warrior run from his fight.
The evening quietude under which I sleep
Has always been a frightening, different world.
Though such horrid dreams
Will forever be within my soul,
I can sometimes remember the beautiful as well.
I can see sunsets at sea,
Snowcapped mountains reaching into the sky.
I’ve seen the wonder of young love that lives life-long
And watched a baby see his mother for the first,
But nothing in all this world,
Whether it be reality or a dream,
Has been more beautiful to me
That the one time I awoke
From the shadowy, dreadful world of my sleep
To find with my newly-opened eyes
That you were lying by my side,
Your arms locking me in your embrace.
Your smile showed me then
Just how in love you are with me.......

No comments:

Post a Comment