April 18, 1992

188. What Trust Means To Me

How I remember playing such a  childish game:
I would cross my arms over my chest,
Close my eyes as tight as I possibly could,
And slowly, lean my head back.
All of my friends with all of their pointless dreams
Stood behind me with outstretched arms.
“Fall backwards,” they would say, “you shall not fall,”
But fall I did, hard on the ground.
       (oh how their laughter cut with such pain)
Time over again and again I would fall
Until finally I grew to trust no one at all.
My heart became so reserved, thinking no one
Would ever stand behind me with open arms.
Yet, as days passed on and the years flew by,
I met such a special friend that showed me loving eyes,
And with a gentle touch I learned to trust again.
Though I was scared, my heart so petrified,
I crossed my arms, bent my head back, closed my eyes,
And this time when I fell backwards,
I felt her arms not only catch my fall,
But embrace me to ensure
              no harm came my way at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment