August 28, 1990

102. To My Fair Juliet,

“No Juliet Am I” by shell
“No light upon the yonder window breaks,
No Romeo extends his loving hands;
No fair, beloved Juliet am I--
Alone upon the balcony I stand.”


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

To My Fair Juliet,
True, my love--
     and forgive me for saying so--
You are no Juliet,
     treading on the path
          of infinite beauty,
Yet, nor am I
     the young lad
          gazing up at the light.
Despite such truths,
     such a divine lady rests
          in only one bed in one place...
          Fictitious Verona Streets.
No true Juliet may live,
     but from the day I write
          my first word,
          until the moment
          these weary eyes gazed upon you,
          never had I seen someone so near
          her world of beauty.
Never alone on the balcony shall you stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment