August 10, 1990

90. Innocence Lost: I Only Wanted To Love Her

 I thought I saw love in your eyes.
      Don’t, they said. She’s lost it.
 Lost what, I thought.  Her prestige?  Her humbleness?
      In sorts, they said.
 They were the few who knew...


 Age fourteen.
 Just what you’d least expect from such a girl.
 Loving family,
      Caring friends,
           Popularity, Beauty, Life, Personality.
 Did you love him?  No.
 Did you care?  Maybe.
 Sooner or later, this happens to everyone.
      Everyone?  Why not me?
 Behind the school where you played as a child--
      Or were you still a child?
 Hiding in the brush, no love in your heart or mind,
      You took him, smiling; he left you, crying.
      Did you even cry?
           I doubt it!
      Were you older now?
      Were you a woman?
      Were you in love now?
      Is that what love is all about?
      No, No, No!!!
 The fourth question?  Pity you shall never know.
 Do you like her? this boy asked me.
 I dug deep into my heart.
      Yes, I said.  She’s witty, beautiful, happy, loveable.
      She’s wonderful!
 He looked beyond my caring words
      And told me of you and him that day,
      In the brush, behind your childhood playground.
      Then, do you know what he said?  I bet you don’t.
      “Get some man, hell I did!”
 You were lowered to that.  Was it him, me, the world?
      No, it was you who did it.


 Still, I cherished you.  Sent you roses, gifts, love,
      Yet, I think it all came down to one thing.
 I would have killed for you
           died for you
 But I didn’t give you what you first had at fourteen.
      Now, I see why you pushed me aside.
           Want some?  Get some.
 Your waves were kissed with passion and sex.
 Mine dreamt of love.
 Our oceans were separated by continents...
 I once looked into your eyes and found beauty.
      Tears were mine before I knew the real you.
                               “What a waste.”

No comments:

Post a Comment