December 19, 1993

255. Life Without Love: Before Love Blooms

We sat so quietly in the courtyard,
My eyes on her -- her eyes on nothing.
After what seemed such an eternity,
Our eyes crossed as she turned her head.
A spontaneous glance slipped into a word;
One word turned into many,
And then, the words turned into laughter.
A feeling of lost love, heartbreak,
Such utter depression mutually felt.
The laughter turned into a smile,
The smiles into joyous tears,
Until finally a dance under midday sun.
Dancing softly to not a note of music.
Sense has no meaning here...
This is a game called love,
Sometimes I feel I know not a thing
In this vast, mysterious world.
Can I know so little about her,
And yet, miss not talking to her?
Is that sane?  Are hours really this long?
Why is it I lay awake at night,
Listening to ballad after ballad,
And all I can think of is her?
Perhaps there is no real explanation.
I ask, I ask, I ask, yet I ask again,
But never do I receive a reply.
For life is love, and all love is life,
But is there life without love?
I hold her hand, share her thoughts,
But deep in my soul I know.
She will be gone before nightfall.
Perhaps there is no way,
But why is there lost hope and anticipation?
And why, oh why,
Must she be gone before love blooms?

No comments:

Post a Comment