December 25, 1992

230. Two Turtle Doves

    I walked up to you under a bright midday sky, my hands cradling two small ceramic turtle doves.  You smiled your smile and looked into my eyes.  I said not a word, but placed one of the doves into your hand and held the other tightly in mine.  You asked me what I was doing, and I said to you this...

Tell Me, My Friend...
    Have you ever heard the story of the two turtle doves, flying briskly through the wind, wings spanning across the azure sky, soft like the twilight, white against the background?
My Friend, You Have Not?
Then On With My Tale I Shall Tell...


    Two turtle doves soaring through the air, not a care in all this world, only existing for each other.  They call to each other in a soft, beautiful language only they can understand.  And when the speak, they speak one of life’s little uncertainties.  They speak none of doubt, or even worry.  They only frolic in the sky, gazing at sunset after sunset, far above the world, eternal, graceful, more beauteous than anything in all the universe’s wonders.  Many men from the beginning of time have prayed to the Heavens above so that the two turtle doves shall last, flying, gliding on the wind, forever.
    Once upon a spring’s eve, a harsh wind blew from the north, bringing cold and rain across the sky.  The turtle doves fought the storm, pushing on, for they knew that if they could not fly, they would fall to the ground and all in the sky would be wrong without them.  Harder and harder they pushed on, into the wind, away from the wind, under the wind, over the wind...nothing seemed to overcome this evil storm, and by and by, they were separated.
    One turtle dove awoke along the sandy shore of a quiet stream.  He opened his eyes slowly, remembering how he fought to stay with the other turtle dove through the storm.  The remembering hurt his little heart.  He looked all around, flew everywhere near, and to his sadness, could not find his companion.  He thought then, I am alone and I need not hurt myself by looking.  Yet, now, fallen out of the sky, standing on the shore, he felt conceit and wondered, I can make it on my own, can’t I?  The world’s evil could not reach him in the sky, but no, on the ground, it was grabbing hold of him.
    He gave up his search for his companion and said, I can make it on my own.  He then scanned the shore and walked over to the stream’s edge to take a drink, and just then, a sly, shadowy fox looked over the tall grass and spied the turtle dove, all alone.  Swiftly, the fox leapt out...
    At the same time, his companion woke high atop a tree, her feet far from the ground.  Somehow she had been placed gently on a branch by the rough storm.  She looked not around, not even to see if she was hurt, for the first thing in her mind was her love that had been lost.  She quickly sprang into the sky, her eyes searching.  Hours passed, hour after hopeless hour.  She began to feel it was of no hope, but she knew her life was not complete without him, her companion in the sky.  She never have up hope, and finally, she came to a stream and recalled how he loved to drink from warm springtime streams.  She swooped down to the bank and cried a horrid shriek as she saw four white feathers trampled into the sand.
    Her eyes darted everywhere, love’s passion deep in her little heart.  It was then that she saw the fox, its full attention looking into a small hollow log.  The fox was pawing inside, trying desperately to reach its hiding prey.  Such a peaceful creature was she, yet flying now, towards the fox, a blissful passion boiled in her heart and nothing would stop her, not even death.  With fiery eyes, she swooped down on the fox, crying as loud as her lungs would allow.  The fox turned its head towards her and tried to duck out of the way, but she crashed her beak on his head and he cowered away.
    She was much too small to hurt the sly, shadowy fox, but what she did do was turn his attention away from her love just a second and he flew up into the sky, away from the evil of the land below.
    Quickly, she met him in the sky, her wing touching his, and they streamed up, higher and higher, playing and frolicking as they had before.  They vowed then, flying towards the rainbow the storm had left in the sky, that they would never separate again, never want to live without each other, and even if fate played another cruel game and split them up like the storm had, they vowed to each other to fight until life was no more, to return to each other again.


And now, My Friend, I Tell You Another Tale...

    Looking up into the sky, I saw two doves and remembered what they meant, symbolizing togetherness for all eternity, so open your hand My Friend (My Love), to you, I give one small ceramic turtle dove to keep with you all your life, and I am to keep the other.  In your hands, nurture it.  In your eyes, admire its beauty.  In your heart, let love grow for it, for in your heart, you must know, my turtle dove is being nurtured, admired, for all eternity...just like you.  From this day forward, remember this tale I’ve told, for it is a tale of me and of you......

No comments:

Post a Comment