December 17, 1992

225. You Left Me Behind

Last night under a starry sky
       Along the shore
              Of an Ocean Blue,
I tried to recall
       What life was like
              Before you were my world.
All the years I spent alone,
       Crying night after night
              Under an alcoholic breath,
Were the root of my fears,
       Struggling to have a love
              I could call my own.
How cruel, you tease my heart,
       Giving me all I dreamt of
              And promising it to me,
So that just as I felt secure,
       You pulled it all away,
              As now, you only laugh.
Just remember, my dear,
       For a short time
              Our lives were one,
But I can see you’ve already forgotten,
       Forgotten our dreams,
              Just like you forgot
                     How much you loved me
My heart was murdered by merciless lies,
       Knives to cut out my teary eyes,
              And again we live separate lives,
                     Two different stories...
But also remember this:
       All the world shares one sunset
              And though you pushed me away,
                     Don’t forget to watch your back,
For when you turn around
       To see what is behind you,
              Your eyes may startle you to see
                     The past you threw away
                            Catching up with you...

No comments:

Post a Comment