December 17, 1992

224. After You Broke My Heart

So many long days it seems
   Since last pen kissed these pages,
      That I fight to remember
         Just what it was like
            To write a loving world
               And feel joy in my heart.
Here I sit, all alone,
   Trying to recall the love
      We promised to each other,
         The love to stun all the word
            And last forever through storm,
               Yet it has all gone away now.
How can you say
   That you will always love me
      When you left me and went away,
         Only to come back to me,
            And under teary eyes say,
               “I don’t know if I love you still.”
For year after year
   I could sit here and cry,
      Plaguing my conscience
         And asking myself why,
            But I think you, the one who left me,
               Don’t even know why you did.
Show me how you feel
   That I could make you a queen
      And give you the world,
         Yet your childish games
            And eye for a world of fantasy
               Took you and your heart away.
Nevertheless, I’ll turn and go,
   Run so very far away
      From the dreams
         We once called our own,
            But I beg of you one thing;
               Do not follow me to spite me.

For when I turn to leave
   After you’ve broken my heart,
      I want only one thing
         In all this twisted world,
            And that is for you
               To be gone from my life.
As we both know,
   All you will do,
      If you remain in my sight,
         Is torment my love
            And make me fall and beg
               For just one more night.
So now, take back the seed...
   The seed of love you planted
      Deep inside my heart
         And run away again,
            Never to return,
               For when you loved me no more,
                     A scar you left, never to fade,
                     Until my tears look on you no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment